Small tattoos aren't just a woman s thing any longer. Tattoos used to be mainly for women – with the larger tattoos reserved for the womanly figure. However, when it comes to ink, proportion doesn't matter and neither does small tattoos. In some cases a small tattoo can actually be much more artistic and meaningful than a big tattoo. They can literally pack a lot of meanings into a small space.
You may want to get your first tattoo in a place that isn't always considered “tattoo fashion”. The truth is that there are tons of cool small tattoos for men out there, that you won't see anywhere else. There are designs for when you don't have a whole lot of room, such as on your bicep or in your wrist. If you have a smaller back, you can still get a cool tattoo that will look great. Here are some of the best ideas for the places that you can get your first tattoo:
– Behind the Ear: Most guys don't like to have a visible tattoo on their forehead. Although tattoos by definition are permanent, many people opt to place them in spots that are more discreet, such as on the back of the neck or on the inside of the ear. These small tattoos can easily be placed behind the ear or even in a small area behind the eyebrow. Many people get tiny versions of their favorite designs (or their childhood designs) in these areas. If you get one that is really cool, you can even wear it in public without people knowing you have it!
– Wrist: This spot is another popular choice for small tattoos for men. It is relatively easy to cover if you need to, although some choose to go with a bracelet or some other less noticeable adornment. Popular designs include stars, tribal, celtic and some popular letters, such as “A”. Putting a small tattoo in this area will look good no matter which direction the skin is facing.
– Arm: Another option is to put a tattoo on the arm that isn't covered by clothing. Often, you can't get a sleeve tattoo, but you can get a wrist, ankle, or lower back tattoo. Again, it's best to not have a visible sleeve tattoo, although some people do. Some people who have become famous (think Robbie Williams or Dita Von Teese) cover their arm tattoos with clothing to avoid public scrutiny. Sometimes they will just leave their arm bare as a form of self expression.
– Shoulder: These are very popular because of the great curvature of the shoulder. Many guys love to have detailed artwork in this area. This area is usually small, because it wraps slightly around the arm, making it easy to tuck the ink in. It's usually not recommended to get a full sleeve tattoo here, as they can become quite large. Small tattoos for men are very simple designs that look great.
– Lower Back: These tattoos can be rather large, but many guys like them. The back is an area that is easy to hide, so most people don't notice the tattoo when they see it. It's best to have smaller, more detailed designs here. These tattoos will mean something to you, whether it's a name, a symbol or some other meaningful thing.
Remember, the back is an easy place to hide tiny tattoo designs. There is a reason that the artists use these places for their work, so take advantage of it. You don't want to get a tattoo that you'll regret. Think carefully about what you want before you get ink.